Having completed fellowship in advanced minimally invasive techniques and bariatric surgery, Dr. Peter Lundberg is one of the most prolific laparoscopic surgeons in Southern Louisiana. He was the first surgeon at our institution to utilize robotics in performing sleeve gastrectomy, gastric bypass, duodenal switch, and several other complex gastrointestinal procedures. He frequently takes on complex revisional bariatric surgeries, offering patients renewed chances at weight loss and comfort when their initial outcomes are not optimal. Dr Lundberg is also among the most experienced robotic surgeons in the area for hernia surgery and anti-reflux surgery.
“Laparoscopy, in concert with robotics, is the present and future of surgery. Surgeries are safer, outcomes better, pain less and cosmetic results superior with the technology at our disposal.”
Dr Lundberg is certified by the American Board of Surgery and has been extensively published in general and bariatric surgery literature. His training affords a personalized approach for every patient to ensure a safe, satisfactory outcome with minimal pain and a rapid recovery.
He also maintains leadership roles in both the state and national chapters of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery and is a tireless advocate for educating patients, providers, employers, and legislators on the benefits of weight loss surgery. His greatest passion, however, is establishing meaningful relationships with patients - to listen, understand, and honestly find the best way forward as a team.
- Graduate of Loyola University Chicago - Stritch School of Medicine, 2011
- Completed general surgical residency at Tulane University School of Medicine, 2017
- Completed advanced minimally invasive and bariatric surgery fellowship at St Luke’s University, 2018
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons
- Fellow of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
- Director of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, West Jefferson Medical Center